The Best Caesar Salad You Will Ever Eat!
This is a perfect summer salad that goes well with many robustly flavoured dishes. It has a wonderful mix of essential fatty acids from the linseed oil, anchovies and walnuts. Eggs are packed full of essential vitamins and minerals and the garlic is beneficial, both as a source of phytoestrogens and also as a booster to the immune system.
Preparation: about 20 minutes, plus overnight infusing
Cooking: ½ minutes (for the egg), plus making the croûtons
- 1 egg
- 1 large head of Cos lettuce
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- 115g / 4 oz Parmesan cheese
- 55g / 2 oz walnut halves, lightly toasted and chopped
- Garlic croûtons
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons linseed oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Large pinch of mustard powder
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon no-added-sugar Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 small lemon
The day before, put the oils for the dressing in a small bowl with the garlic slices and leave at room temperature to infuse with the garlic flavour.
Next day, when ready to serve, boil the egg for 1 ½ minutes, only. Cool under cold running water. Shred the lettuce into a salad bowl, season well and scoop the contents of the egg shell over the leaves.
Grate half the Parmesan. In a bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients including the garlic oil (discard the slices of garlic or use them elsewhere) and the grated Parmesan. Sprinkle the dressing over the leaves and toss well. Add in the walnuts and croutons and toss again. Finish by shaving the remaining Parmesan into strips over the top of the salad.